Topic Tuesday – 10 Things I Want to Accomplish Before It’s Too Late
I’m starting another regular feature here on the Pursuit of God. One of the elements of my own pursuit has been this blog itself – simply forcing myself to put into words some things that I have been experiencing or pondering. In order to help facilitate that process, and to help my writing, I’m starting “Topic Tuesday” (the other #tt). In Topic Tuesday posts, I will take a randomly generated blog prompt and write a post based on it. The consistent practice of forcing myself to write a post on a given topic will hopefully help me become a better writer, which should make PoG more enjoyable for everyone.
Today’s topic: 10 Things I Want to Accomplish Before It’s Too Late.
In no particular order…
1) Skydiving – This has been on my “bucket list” since I was in elementary school. Airplanes (which I love)? Check. Element of crazy? Check. Exhilaration of facing down Death? Check.
2) Having kids – For me, “too late” for having kids doesn’t mean when my wife and I are no longer physically able to bear children, but rather when I’m no longer physically able to engage and play with them. I want to be the one who teaches my kids how to play baseball, football, etc. I want to be able to take them camping, hiking, white-water rafting, and stuff like that. I want to have those experiences with my family firsthand, to live a truly great adventure with them.
3) Breaking the sound barrier – Also on my bucket list since forever, this one became a little harder to reach since the put the Concorde out to pasture. It would have been pricey, but still way easier than catching a faster-than-sound ride in a military jet.
4) Getting a graduate degree – In total honesty, part of me just really wants the title “Master”… But the bigger part of me really just wants to be a lifelong learner. I know that there is so much more out there for me to learn in my current field, and I have at least a passing interest in about 10 other fields.
5) Seeing a baseball game in the remaining great old parks – In my lifetime, the greatest old ballparks in existence have been the old Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, and Wrigley Field. I missed out on the old Yankee Stadium, and there have been some discussions in recent years about closing Fenway. I really want to get at least 2 out of 3. The history and tradition of those places is incredible, and I just want to experience it once. Wearing my Atlanta Braves hat, of course…
6) Becoming a published author – I’ve always loved writing. It’s only been recently (within the last 5 years or so) that I’ve gotten interested in the process a little more. I know full-well that it’s sort of a long-shot dream, but it would be awesome to have a book published. For me, it would probably have to be a non-fiction book of some sort. I just don’t know if I have the “Great American Novel” in me.
7) Becoming completely debt-free – I mean completely, totally, unconditionally free from all financial debts to anyone.
8) Create something lasting and beautiful – Classic song? Enduring work of art? Idea that changes the world? I’m not sure it matters. I want to create something that is beautiful and will positively impact people well beyond my own personal contact with them.
9) Rock-solid, tight-knit family – This might end up being my “something lasting and beautiful” from #8. Between my actual family and friends who have become like family, I have experienced this in my own life, and I want to pass that on to my own kids. I want them to be able to take stock of the people in their life and feel as blessed as I do.
10) Pass on what I’ve learned to others – Not that I feel like I have any special knowledge or anything… I enjoy teaching and mentoring, and it would be awesome to know that something I said or modeled actually sunk in to a young mind and made a difference.
So that’s my list. What are some things you want to accomplish before it’s too late?